HIGHLIGHT: EASTER BREAK SPECIAL. The perfect time to visit Iceland. Chances to view the Northern Lights in pleasant temperatures & long days. Sunlight in April usually from 6.00 am to 9.00 pm (15 hours!)
CITYLIFE ICELAND TRIP A land of fire, ice, and elves, Iceland is a beacon of nature’s majesty and culture. It’s also quite possibly the strangest place ever. And that’s precisely why you should go. Iceland is a country of sharp contrasts. A place where fire and ice co-exist. Where dark winters are offset by the summer’s midnight sun. A country where insular existence has spurred a rich and vibrant culture. We will be discovering the world-famous Golden Circle on our Iceland trip with comfortable small mini-busses (15-30 seater coaches).
READ: 15 reasons why Iceland is the most fascinating country on the planet
✘ DAY 1: Airport pickup – Þingvellir – Gullfoss Waterfall – Geysir – Skálholt – Hvolsvöllur ✘
On our first day, we will be picking you up either in Reykjavik (if you arrive before the 15th of April) or our local Citylife representative will be waiting for you with a sign at the airport. We will leave the airport by 2.00 pm and head out to explore the magnificent surroundings of Iceland’s South Coast. The south of Iceland has some of the country’s most diverse nature. Glaciers, volcanoes, volcanic islands, geothermal areas, glacial rivers, black sands, vast meadows, marshes, lakes of all sorts, untouched highlands and long black beaches.
The first stop of the day will be the Þingvellir national park, a world heritage site with a unique history and geology, before we head further South and stop at the Great Geysir – one of the greatest natural attractions of Iceland. The Great Geysir has been dormant since 1916 when it suddenly ceased to spout.
Afterwards, we are stopping at the world famous Gullfoss Waterfall. Gullfoss is actually two separate waterfalls, the upper one has a drop of 11 metres and the lower one 21 metres. The rock of the river bed was formed during an interglacial period. Our last stop of the day will be Skálholt, a historical site that is steeped in religion, before heading to Hvolsvöllur for our overnight stay.
✘ DAY 2: Seljalandsfoss Waterfall – Sólheimasandur Plane Wrack – Reynisfjara – Skaftafell ✘
In April, we can expect up to 15 hours of sunlight per day, which makes it an ideal season to explore the country. On the second day, we will explore the beautiful Seljalandsfoss Waterfall. It is 60 meters high with a foot path behind it at the bottom of the cliff, but with a thin cascade. It is the only known waterfall of its kind, where it is possible to walk behind it.
The waterfall is very picturesque and therefore its photo can be found in many books and calendars. We’ll head further East to the Sólheimasandur Plane Wrack. It is one of Iceland’s most haunting photography locations. On the 24th of November 1973, a United States Navy Douglas Super DC-3 airplane was forced to land on Sólheimasandur’s black sand beach after experiencing some severe icing. Luckily, all crew members survived the crash, but the airplane’s fuselage was abandoned. Nowadays, it has become a dream location for all photographers. Next, we will stop at the world-famous black-sand beach Reynisfjara besides the small fishing villages, before heading to our accommodation in Skaftafell or around.
✘ DAY 3: Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon – Diamond beach – Vík ✘
On our third day, we will spend most of our time at Jökulsárlón, a glacial lagoon, bordering Vatnajökull National Park in southeastern Iceland. It is an absolute must-see for every Iceland tourist! The main lagoon measures about 7 square miles (20 km2) and until 1932 was covered in thick glacial ice. Then the glacier started to retreat, and nowadays more than 300 feet (100 m) of ice breaks away each year to reshape the lagoon and fill it with spectacular icebergs. Jökulsárlón has been a part of the Vatnajökull National Park since 2017. The lagoon is open to the sea and so contains a mixture of salt and freshwater, giving it a unique blue-green colour. There are hundreds of seals here in the winter and the lagoon supports many species of fish including krill, herring, trout and, occasionally, salmon. Just down to beach we will also stop at the Diamond beach, where the icebergs which fill Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon wash up on shore, standing dazzling and defiant in stark contrast to the black sand beach. It is, therefore, a favourite amongst photographers, nature-lovers, and wildlife-enthusiasts. After having explored the area around the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, we will head back to Vík í Mýrdal, a stunning remote seafront village. In calm surroundings, our group will enjoy the evening in a local guesthouse.
✘ DAY 4: Vík – Blue Lagoon (optional) – Reykjanes Peninsula – Reykjavík ✘
We will be leaving our guesthouse in the morning and head towards the Reykjanes Peninsula. As some of you might want to visit the famous Blue Lagoon you, there is an option to enter the Blue Lagoon (Optional extra, needs to be booked by 10th of March £70 – here. Please contact us after this date for advice). If you do not want to enter the Blue Lagoon – no problem. Our guide will show us around the Peninsula. First we will stop at Grindavik, a small fishing town for lunch. We will then head over to Kleifarvatn Lake and the Krysuvik hot springs. There might be some more stops suggested by our guide. We will then pick up the rest of the group before heading to Reykjavík. Reykjavik is the country’s capital and largest city. It is the world’s northernmost capital, with a population of only 123,000. Reykjavík is the place to be if you are interested in the arts and different cultures. It is home to the majority of our most prestigious cultural institutions and talented performers and artists.
✘ DAY 5: Reykjavík – Airport transfer ✘
After having made incredible memories, our Iceland trip finishes on Day 5 with an included transfer from Reykjavik to the airport. You will need some time to process what you have all seen on our Citylife trip. From glaciers, volcanoes, geothermal areas, glacial rivers, black sands, vast meadows, marshes, lakes of all sorts to untouched highlands and long black beaches. We can promise extreme sadness when it’s time to say goodbye to the amazing trip through this unique country!
✓ 5 days & 4 nights
✓ All transportation on the entire trip in luxurious mini-bus
✓ 4 nights’ accommodation
✓ Popular star rated hotels and guesthouses perfect for our group. You share the room usually only with 2-5 other people
✓ Breakfast every morning
✓ Citylife trip leader throughout the whole trip
✓ Local Icelandic driver and guide throughout the whole trip.
✓ Visit all sights mentioned in the itinerary above
✓ No mandatory other payments during the trip (tips, local taxes, visits etc.)
✓ Trip photographer
✓ All taxes included
✓ (optional) Blue Lagoon Visit (Buy your ticket here)
This is a ‘Meet Us There’ trip! Please book your own flights to and from Keflavík International Airport. Our suggested flight dates are:
🛬ARRIVAL: any time before 14:00 (2.00 pm) on 15/04/2019
There will be a pick-up in Reykjavík too (for the people who have arrived earlier), probably around 12:00 (TBC)
🛫DEPARTURE: any time on 19/04/2019
In case you want to arrive earlier in Iceland or stay longer you are obviously free to do so. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding the flight booking.
There will be 3 different shuttle times around 4:00AM, 10:00AM, 4:00PM. (You will be asked to submit your flight details closer to the trip and we will confirm these times)
At the time of research, we could find very affordable flights to Iceland from many UK airports!
1) Who can join this Trip? – Anyone who is over 18 years old is welcome on any Citylife trip. Please note that the majority of participants are students.
2) I am running late, what if I cannot make it to the meeting point? – We will be providing airport pick-up around noon. If you do encounter any delays please contact us immediately and we’ll do our best to find a solution as we know travelling doesn’t always go to plan.
3) I cannot make it to the trip, can I get a refund? – As stated in our T&C’s, it is possible to cancel our international trips, however we will not be able to refund the full amount depending on the closeness of the trip. If you know you cannot make it to a trip in advance, please contact us. In general, we alyways suggest to you to try to sell it on to someone else if possible.
4) This is an international trip, what do I need to bring? – We will always send you a detailled list of suggested equipment/items. In any case, you should always have a rain coat and appropriate foot wear! Also note that we are only away for a week, so a one piece of luggage should be enough. Since our Iceland Trip is taking place in April, we recommend you to bring warm clothes. You might also want to bring some snacks and drinks for the drive.
5) I need a Schengen visa – what do I need to do? – No worries at all, Citylife is very experienced in the Schengen visa process and has already issued dozens of visas for our travellers. You will first need to book your trip ticket with us and we can then issue you a personalised visa letter. Please note that we can only issue the letter to you once your trip purchase has been made. With our visa letter, we have had a 100% acceptance rate in the past for visa applications if you apply early enough. Please note that we recommend applying at least 4-6 weeks before the trip departure. Please feel free to contact our experienced visa support team for any further questions on firstname.lastname@example.org . For more information in regard the Visa process, please use https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/iceland-visa/uk/.
6) I can share my room only with people from the same gender – Is this possible? Yes, that’s no problem at all. We will seperate the genders at each hostel when checking in. You do not need to book this beforehand with us.
7) I have not received a ticket email nor info mail, what can I do? – First of all, check your email provider’s spam folder. It can happen that our email landed there. If you still cannot find your ticket or have not received the info mail, feel free to contact us, stating your name and the Trip you have purchased a ticket for and we will kindly resend the information to you.
8) I cannot find the meeting point, where do I go? – In the unlikely case that you cannot find our meeting point, feel free to contact the trip leader. You can find his/her contact details in the info mail you have received. They will try to help you make your way to the meeting point. Our tip: If you are unsure where to go, always give yourself some extra time so you do not have to rush or worst case, miss the coach!
9) When will I receive the itinerary with all timings and all hostel details for the entire trip? – We will send you the full itinerary by email one week before the trip starts.
10) I have another question, who do I ask? – Please feel free to contact us in advance if anything is unclear. You may call our service hotline +44 (0) 800 689 0731 (during business hours) or send us an email to email@example.com.
Citizens of many countries will not need a tourist or business visa for stays of less than 90 days in Iceland. There is a list of countries on their Directorate of Immigration site of those who do need a visa and those who don’t.
Citizens that do NOT need a visa: www.utl.is/index.php/en/who-does-not-need-a-visa
Citizens that NEED a visa: www.utl.is/index.php/en/who-needs-a-visa
If you need a visa, Citylife UK can provide a personalised visa letter for you, which you have to attach to the visa application. Simply get in touch with our experienced visa team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start date: April 15, 2019
End date: April 19, 2019
Start time: 14:00 p.m.
End time: 22:00 p.m.
Meeting Point: Keflavík International Airport.
Phone: 0800 689 0731